So many dollars travel through payrolls. Any glitch in a company’s approach to employment taxes (and related obligations) can lead to unspeakable devastation for both the company and responsible individuals. Often, little, if any, thought, goes into structure, implementation and documentation of payroll tax approaches. It is as if no one is driving the boat. Someone needs to be watching out. At times, that person is the non-tax professional. This course identifies potential and actual life threatening payroll tax disasters (and savings opportunities) and enlightens as to what to do next.
Basic Course Information
- Learn to identify potential employment tax and related devastations and how to head them off at the pass
- Learn to identify how to responsibly reduce employment tax and related costs where possible
- Develop a sixth sense about proper structure of employment or contract labor relationship
- Learn how to keep your own (and your colleagues) fanny(ies) out of the employment tax sling
- Employment tax storms that threaten a company and its people
- Employee wage withholding – Where it all can lead
- Outside payroll providers – The good, bad, ugly and brutal
- Employee expense reimbursements and employment tax – Keep the train on the track – A whole lot more to it than you think
- Avoiding personal liability for company’s failure to collect, account for and pay over employment taxes – Keep the wolf from your door
- Social security (FICA) taxes and all of the others (more than meet the eye)
- Interactions with IRS – Most definite dos and don’ts
- Data exposure, data loss and tax fraud – Make sure to do this
- Eligibility for Employment, Immigration and Form I-9
- Backup Withholding and Form W-9 – Why (and how) no one can ignore it
- Change of Responsible Person (Form 8822-B) – Ignore it? Absolutely no way
- How Workers’ Comp insurance should get your attention in a huge way
- Money vs. Freedom
- Fringe benefits and employment taxes tied at the hip
- Contractor or employee – When it walks the walk (and when to run away)
Bradley Burnett, J.D., LL.M. (Taxation), is a practicing Colorado tax attorney with 33 years of tax practice experience. His practice emphasis is on tax planning and tax controversy resolution. He also prepares a handful of tax returns.
Prior to establishing his own law firm in 1990, he practiced tax accounting with national and local CPA firms, worked as trust officer for a Denver bank and managed the tax department as partner in a medium-sized Denver law firm. After receiving his undergraduate degree in accounting and law degree (J.D.), he earned a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Taxation from the University of Denver School of Law Graduate Tax Program.
Mr. Burnett has delivered more than 3,000 presentations on U.S. tax law throughout all fifty U.S. states, Washington, D.C., the Bahamas, Italy, Greece, Turkey and Canada. He has authored texts of 35 CPE courses.
Bradley served as adjunct professor at the University of Denver School of Law Graduate Tax Program, where he pioneered an Employment Tax course and occasionally pinch hit teaching the IRS Practice and Procedure topic. He has appeared on television answering tax questions for call-in viewers of Denver NBC affiliate KUSA Channel 9. Brad received the Illinois Society of CPAs Instructor Excellence Award for teaching in Chicago and five times has been the top rated, most requested instructor for CPA Society annual tax conferences.
Burnett’s seminar style is to deliver the subject matter in briskly paced, enthusiastic and witty fashion. His forte’ is the candid communication of practical ideas relating to tax law.
Fri, Oct 25, 2019 - 01:00p to 03:01p CDT
Fri, Nov 08, 2019 - 03:00p to 05:01p CST
Wed, Nov 20, 2019 - 07:00a to 09:01a CST
Thu, Dec 12, 2019 - 09:00a to 11:01a CST
Mon, Dec 16, 2019 - 11:00a to 01:01p CST
Fri, Dec 27, 2019 - 07:00a to 09:01a CST
Basic Course Information
Bradley Burnett Tax Seminars, Ltd.
Human Resource professionals, controllers, non-tax accountants, owners and any other interested persons desiring to identify potential employment tax and related devastations and how to head them off at the pass
Complaint Resolution Policy
Please contact Jessica Vieira with any complaints at email@example.com, (617-519-6790).
Course Registration Requirements
Instructional Delivery Method
Group Internet Based
Please contact the HREN help desk 1-877-602-9877 or help@HREducationNetwork.com if you wish to cancel your attendance for a previously purchased webcast and are requesting a refund or transfer.
HRCI Accreditation Information
HR Education Network is a recognized provider of recertification credits. HR Certification Institute® pre-approved this program for 1 HR (Business) credit towards aPHRTM, PHR®, PHRca®, SPHR®, GPHR®, PHRiTM and SPHRiTM recertification.
SHRM Accreditation Information
HR Education Network is recognized by SHRM to offer SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP professional development credits (PDCs). This program is valid for 1 PDC. For more information about certification or recertification, please visit shrmcertification.org.
Total Reviews: 1